[Advaita-l] Nirvikalpa-samadhi reference in Vivekachudamani

Abhiram Ayyar abhiramayyar at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 15:18:49 EDT 2021

Hari Om,

I am not very clear about nirvikalpa-samAdhi in the advaita context and
have some questions.

>From what I understand, in Advaita the nirvikalpa (the state) is not
considered mandatory or even very useful for j~nAnam. The state where there
are no vRttis (yoga definition) can be obtained naturally in suShupti,
mUrChA, or induced in samAdhi. In this state, the chidAbhAsa is dormant
(as-if non-existent).

Somewhere I read nirvikalpa as absorption in just one vRtti (advaita
definition) [this seems quite different from yoga-definition (which is
thoughtlessness) because as per advaita definition, there is vRtti and  if
there is a vRtti there is going to be a tripuTI (the awareness of the
thought will exist). If this is the case, would it be accurate to say that
vedAntic nirvikalpa-samAdhi is a state of deep-thoughts (all related to
nirvikalpa vastu - brahma), and not nirvikalpa in the sense that the
temporary disappearance of divisions of knower/known?

Is this understanding correct?

Further, in VC254
अज्ञानहृदयग्रन्थेर्निःशेषविलयस्तदा । समाधिनाऽविकल्पेन यदाऽद्वैतात्मदर्शनम्‌
॥ ३५४ ॥

Here, it literally seems to imply that  advaita-Atmadarshanam is achieved
by nirvikalpa-samAdhi. I assume that nirvikalpa-samaAdhi is deep absorption
in brahma-vicAra over a prolonged period and that makes sense to me (I
think that would be a specific form of nididhyAsanam).

I would highly appreciate some guidance and clarity on this subject.

Thanks in advance.