[Advaita-l] Mitakshara Brahmasutravritti (was: Shri Harsha's Khandana Khanda Khadya (English))

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Sep 20 00:30:04 EDT 2021

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l wrote:

>> FYI, Mitakshara vRtti is available here:
> https://archive.org/details/bsmitakshara with Mangalacharana expressing its
> following Bhamati and beautiful opening words: तत्र तावत् आत्मा वा अरे
> द्रष्टव्यः श्रोतव्यः इति फलमनूद्य तत्साधनत्वेन श्रवणं विधीयते। श्रवणं नाम
> वेदान्तवाक्यानामद्वितीये ब्रह्मणि तात्पर्यनिर्णयानुकूलो न्यायविचारः।

Thankyou.  It is interesting to me that the Bhamatikara, Vachaspati
Mishra, is also considered an authoritative acharya in Nyaya (and Samkhya,
and Yoga as well.)  He is known as tatparyacharya because of his
tatparyatika on the Nyayasutrabhashya.  So perhaps there is some special
affinity between the Bhamati line of thinking in Advaita Vedanta and
Nyaya?  Something that needs more research.