[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 07:25:02 EDT 2021

Sri Venkatraghavan ji,
Thank you for your response. If I understood you correctly, then I believe
that we are both aligned on the following:
1. A mahavakya reveals the Truth about jiva-brahma-aikyam.
2. Shravanam of a mahavakya alone is enough for realization of the Truth,
provided that one has a pure mind that allows to understand it clearly.
3. If there are obstructions in one's mind, like one's vasanas, mananam and
nididhyasanam are required to remove them in seeing the Truth that has
already been revealed by shravanam. However, the mananam and nididhyasanam
are not revealing anything new beyond what the shravanam has already
revealed.
Please do excuse my limited ability of expression which may have stood in
the way of accurately conveying my thoughts. However, I believe there are
no points I disagreed with earlier. I was just trying to convey that simply
knowing (i.e., listening to) a mahavakya is not enough for those who have
not attained the purity of mind. In this case, further reflection on the
mahavakya is needed to remove the obstruction in their mind to realize the
Truth conveyed by the mahavakya.

Sri Bhaskar ji,
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. It is indeed worth noting
the points you mention: the difference between dhyana for sake of a result
vs. dhyana for sake of jnana, the shravanadi sadhana not just on mahavakyas
but on all of shabda in general, and need to keep performing this sadhana
until the Truth is realized (like cooking the rice until it is cooked!).
It is also worth noting that shravanadi are called "sadhana" merely out of
limitation of language and from the point of view of an ajnani. This is
because the Truth, which is eternally present, need not need be attained as
a siddhi after performing some action. The "sadhana", if anything, is just
the apparent removal of the illusion blocking the Truth from the point of
view of an ajnana. Due to one's false the notion of agency and wrong
assumption of subject-object differences, an ajnani keeps performing this
"sadhana", until the point where one removes all apparent illusions at
which point only the Truth remains and there is neither a sadhaka nor a
sadhana.

Om tat sat 🙏