[Advaita-l] [advaitin] 'Dvaita accepts body-adhyasa'

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 11:16:27 EDT 2021

Thank you for the explanation, Sri Kaushik. It certainly seems to be a
valuable teaching in dvaita vyavahara, where the 'tvam' is taken to be the
individual Jiva that identifies as Svetaketu and as different from other
individuals. This Jiva-Paramatma bheda is required for surrendering to the
Paramatma and letting go of one's ego which is a source of desires.

However, I still wonder how such a teaching of "That is the Atma, That you
are not." ties up with the initial part of the discussion. The discussion
starts with Svetaketu coming back from Gurukulam with a pride of knowing
everything, to which his father asks if he has ever heard the teaching by
which one hears what cannot be heard, by which one perceives what cannot be
perceived, by which one knows what cannot be known. His father later
expands on it by saying that this teaching is similar to how by knowing a
clod of clay all things made of clay are known, or how by knowing a gold
nugget all things made of gold are known, etc. I wonder how the dvaitins
could possibly justify that "That is Atma, That you are not" is such a type
of teaching.