[Advaita-l] [advaitin] 'Dvaita accepts body-adhyasa'

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 22:54:38 EDT 2021

Namaskaram Sri Prasadji,

Thank you for your kind explanation. If I understood it correctly, you are
presenting the Advaitic viewpoint based on Sruthi, which I am able to
follow.

At the same time, other Astika schools which also accept the authority of
the Sruti seem to claim something different from Advaita while still
accepting the superposition of the body-mind on the Self. In this context,
my question is whether the superposition alone is enough (read as
'sufficient condition' in terms of mathematical language) to establish that
the body-mind is also avidya. This does not seem to be the case because, at
least in my limited understanding, schools like Sankhya posit a Pradhana
that is inert and independent of the Purusha and the Purusha experiences
the Pradhana without clearly seeing the difference between itself and
Pradhana. The Dvaita school also posits that a Paramatma has created this
world (including individual body-mind) as well as all the Jivas which
reside in them, but the Jivas suffer because of the superposition of the
body-mind on themselves thinking "I am this body" or "This is mine" etc.

This question arises because of the thread's subject being "Dvaita accepts
body-adhyaasa" and the subsequent claim by Sri Subbuji that this
superposition alone implies that all vyavahara is in avidya and
consequently the Dvaitic schools must also accept the Advaitic view only.
The Adhyasa Bhashya was referenced for supporting this claim. In it, an
additional assertion (by which I mean a statement without a substantiating
evidence or argument) appears to be made that the body-mind has avidya for
a material cause. When this  assertion is taken together with the adhyaasa
of the body-mind on the self (adhyaasa being an effect of avidya) and the
fact that such an adhyaasa is necessary for any vyavahara implies that all
vyavahara happens in avidya. However, it seems that without this assertion
the same conclusion cannot be made.

Therefore, my question is whether dvaitic schools do not accept the
assertion that the body-mind has avidya for a material cause and therefore
whether this is the reason why although they accept the body-mind adhyaasa
they do not necessarily reach the same conclusion as Advaita. If this is
the case, then why is it that they are unable to accept that body-mind as
springing out of avidya? Is it because they posit that a Paramatma is the
cause for the jagat and that He is not touched by avidya?

In essence, I am trying to understand where and why the Dvaitic schools
differ in their conclusion from Advaita even though they accept the same
Sruti and accept several things that are common with Advaita like body-mind
adhyaasa. Why do they stop short of the final conclusion of Advaita even
while there are many similarities? What is it they are unable to agree with
on Advaita and why?

I hope I have been able to explain my question a bit more clearly now. I
would appreciate any thoughts on the above. 🙏