[Advaita-l] [advaitin] 'Dvaita accepts body-adhyasa'

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 12:41:11 EDT 2021

Namaskaram,

Kindly pardon any ignorance on my part, but I thought that body-adhyasa was
always accepted by Dvaita? In other words, I assumed that Dvaitins hold
that the Jivaatma which is chaitanya-svaroopa (nature of consciousness or
sentient) is falsely imagining itself to be the body which is jada
(insentient). This is, in my limited understanding, similar to the view of
the Samkhya philosophy where the (multiple) Purushas which are sentient
experience the Prakriti which is insentient (and makes up 24 tattvas
including the five panchabhootas of which the body is made) while not
realizing the difference between Purusha and Prakriti.

It is my understanding that the main difference of Advaita to these
philosophies is not the body-adhyasa but rather the Jiva-Brahma-aikyam
(one-ness of the Jiva and Brahman).

So this post makes me wonder if there anything new (or surprising) about
Dvaitins accepting body-adhyasa.

Please do correct me if any of my above understanding is incorrect. 🙏