[Advaita-l] Fwd: [advaitin] Role of Viveka and Vairagya for Spiritual Maturity and Liberation

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 01:37:47 EDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ram Chandran <ramvchandran at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [advaitin] Role of Viveka and Vairagya for Spiritual Maturity
and Liberation
To: advaitin <advaitin at googlegroups.com>

More on Viveka, Vairagya, Waking, Dreaming, Deep-Sleep and Turiya States of
Mind

Namaste:

 The teachings of advaita vedAnta  identifies several qualifications
necessary for a student of self-knowledge to have. The first two are known
as viveka and vairAgya. viveka is often translated as discrimination, which
definition is further expanded to mean the ability to discriminate between
the real and the unreal.

 Though there are different types of Vairagya, our focus is only about the
Vairagya which is the detachment brought about by the ability to discern on
what is real and what is illusory. Vedantin labelled it as Viveka Vairagya.
Some scholars consider that Vairagya is born out of Viveka (knowing the
discrimination between Nitya and Anitya, Eternal or Transcendent and
transient, Sat and Asat, Tattwa and Atattwa, and Essence and non-essence.
Viveka emerges through selfless service done in several births and through
devotion and adoration of God, and through the Grace of the Lord or Self.
Vedanta says that the Vairagya brought about by Viveka is permanent and
fruitful to spiritual advancement.

 Any assertion such as Vairagya came out of Viveka or Viveka as the
cultivated fruit of planting Vairagya will imply that we know the path of
self-realization which is a contradiction.  We have recognized that it is
impossible to know whether seed came first or tree came first all that we
see both the trees and seeds!  We do not gain any visible gain with the
knowledge of which came first.   Instead, if we are better of just to
recognize that both are important for our salvation.

 We also had some discussion on the four states of consciousness – waking,
dreaming, deep-sleep and turiya. Details of Turiya are discussed in Verse 7
of the Mandukya Upanishad. The idea of Turiya is also found in Chapters 8.7
through 8.12 of Chandogya Upanishad where  the "four states of
consciousness" are stated as awake, dream-filled sleep, deep sleep, and
beyond deep sleep. Also Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, in chapter 5.14.3
discusses Turiya state, as does Maitri Upanishad in sections 6.19 and 7.11.
(Source Wikepedia)

 Here is the summary of description on Mandukya Upanishad  on Turiya:

“Not inwardly cognitive, nor outwardly cognitive, not both-wise cognitive,
not a cognition-mass, not cognitive, not non-cognitive, unseen, with which
there can be no dealing, ungraspable, having no distinctive
mark,non-thinkable, that cannot be designated, the essence of assurance,of
which is the state of being one with the Self

the cessation of development, tranquil, benign, without a second, such they
think is the fourth. He is the Self (Atman). He should be discerned.” —
Mandukya Upanishad 7  (Robert Ernest (1921), The Thirteen Principal
Upanishads, Oxford University Press, pp. 391–393)

Deep Sleep is also known as  Sushupti which means “deep sleep” and refers
to the third state of consciousness.  Essentially, it is a reference to the
dream less state of mind when the mind ceases both physical and mental
activities and totally absorbed internally. According to Mandukya
Upanishad, Sushupti is associated with prajna, the ultimate understanding
of the true nature of existence and reality.

 I am of the opinion that these descriptions and definitions are provided
to illustrate that it is impossible for us to recognize when or how long we
had the experience of Sushpti.  Brahman knows the Brahman is a tautological
statement – it is true and no will be able to dispute it and at the same
time, it doesn’t provide any help for our salvation.  Here is an example of
a tautological statement:  Post office is near the shopping mall and
shopping mall is near the post office.  This statement is undisputable but
not useful because it doesn’t tell us the location of either one!

 Regards,

Ram Chandran