[Advaita-l] Shabda and Dhvani

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sun May 16 04:40:11 EDT 2021

Hari Om,

Please share your views as to whether shabda and dhvani are same or
different. Here by shabda, I mean the vishay of shrotra-indriya which is
the guNa of AkAsha.

It is admitted in VedAnta that shabda does not travel to shrotra-indriya
rather shrotra-indriya travel to shabda.

For dhvani, Acharya says in BSB 1.3.28 --  कः पुनरयं ध्वनिर्नाम ? यो
दूरादाकर्णयतो वर्णविवेकमप्रतिपद्यमानस्य कर्णपथमवतरति.

This implies that dhvani comes to karNa I.e. shrotra-indriya-golaka.

Prima facie, it appears then that dhvani and shabda are different for
dhvani is stated to come to indriya-golaka whereas shabda does not come to
indriya-golaka.

Learned members to please share their considered views.

Regards,
Sudhanshu Shekhar.