[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue May 11 03:50:29 EDT 2021

Namaste
I was going to suggest this well. The object that is perceived is not the
physical object itself but light / sound emanating from it.

Thus without needing the postulation of the mind to move towards a physical
object elsewhere, one could postulate that the light / sound itself is the
viShaya. Thus all the terms related to viShayAvacChinna chaitanya can be
recast to mean prabhAvacChinna chaitanya / shabdAvacChinna chaitanya etc.

Thus, the viShaya adhiShThAna chaitanya can still be the prakAshaka, there
is difference between paroksha and pratyaksha on account of the prabhA /
shabda making contact with the eyes, there is possible for bhrama because
of ajnAna in the viShaya (light/sound) avacChinna chaitanya.

And as Sri Chandramouli says, this aligns with the anubhava of not
experiencing the exact quantum of distance in the perception of sound and
light even when one knows in general that it is far / near.

That is simpler I feel and requires less items to postulate such as the
mind being able to travel back in time to see distant galaxies etc. While
it may be true for yogis, to say that everyone does that naturally does not
sit well.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, 11 May 2021, 08:17 H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l, <