[Advaita-l] Atharvashiras Upanishad Lecture PART 1

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Mar 30 00:50:53 EDT 2021

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, Keshava Mahadeva via Advaita-l wrote:

> practiced by everybody including demigods like Brahma, Vishnu & Indra.

Good work with the videos from what I have heard so far.  I will be
listening to all of them carefully and will possibly have more to say then
but one note for the time being:  The usage of the word "demigod" for
Devas is misleading.  In Western culture demigod refered to people
like e.g. Hercules who were the offsprings of divine entities and humans.
This makes no sense in the Indian context.  Devas are "Gods" there is
nothing "Demi" about them. As far as I know, the usage was coined or
popularized by Prabhupada of ISKCON to distinguish Devas from Vishnu
Bhagavan.  It seems it is being used the same way here to distinguish
Devas from Shiva Bhagavan.  That's fine but as not all Sanskrit terms will
map cleanly onto English equivalents perhaps to avoid confusion it is
better to just leave it untranslated as Deva just as other words such as
yoga or karma are used in English untranslated.