[Advaita-l] Karma yoga: the kinder, softer preparation for self-inquiry and surrender

Ven Balakrishnan ventzu at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 17:12:10 EDT 2021

Akilesh

Let's back to basics.

Ramana’s teaching can be summarised as:

1) The ‘I’- thought arises between consciousness and the insentient body
2) The world is a projection of the ‘I’ thought - drsti-srsti vada
3) The I-thought grows in strength the more that it is attached to world objects
4) Therefore the path to realisation is self-enquiry / self-surrender - which is turning away from thoughts (and the desires for objects that stimulates thoughts) and focusing on the ‘I’-thought until it dies.  So desirelessness is a pre-requisite to his mauna, thought-free state, the death of the ego.
5) The death of the I-thought, for Bhagavan could be interpreted to mean:
	(a) The world projection ends
	(b) The world appearance continues, but is like a mirage in a desert - seen but not taken to be real.  He also uses the analogy of a burnt rope in GVK.  To the extent that it is seen, yes differences are ’seen’ like a foot or a hand, but there is no inner thought that says ‘me’ or ‘mine’.

Please let me know which of the above premises you disagree with, and then we have a solid ground for debate.