[Advaita-l] Advaita and Taking action

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 19 03:07:55 EDT 2021

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021, Murali k via Advaita-l wrote:

> Is it hard to pursue a Spiritual path and still provide for a family.

Yes.  The connection between pandityam and poverty is legendary and sadly
still true to this day though thankfully getting a little better.

> Will
> following an advaita path necessarily entail a lack of motivation towards a
> chosen vocation?

There is no iron law that it has to be this way but in the end it is a
question of priorities.  For myself, I am lucky that I am in the IT field
and it is flexible enough that I have not had to make serious compromises
to my beliefs but I have definitely lost some financial opportunities over
the years by sticking to principles.

> I do not see that to be case as I see list members here to be quitte good
> at what they do.  Or Am I  seeing a false dichotomy between taking action
> towards goals and following the teaching.

We must remember that artha and kama are also purusharthas for a grhastha
and there is no sin in seeking them as long as it is in accordance with
the guidelines of dharma.