[Advaita-l] Karma yoga: the kinder, softer preparation for self-inquiry and surrender

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Thu Mar 11 22:43:59 EST 2021

Namaste,

It's not about cherry picking quotes, at least in the case of Ramana. Show
me *any* quote in *any* of Ramana's works that support the suggestion that
physical sannyasa is a necessity. I'm genuinely curious.

Sannyasa happens because certain people are *drawn to it, because it's
their dharma*. It's not that the householders like Janaka who can live in
luxury are "luckier" than them. Likely the opposite is true. Those drawn to
physical sannyasa are likely to have easier lives, spiritually speaking.
They are lucky that their karma -- and this reflects in both their desires
and their circumstances -- permit them to take this simpler path with fewer
possible distractions.

I agree, however, that Shankara's views present a more complicated
question. There are many places in his commentaries where he does indeed
seem to suggest physical sannyasa as a necessity.

But he also acknowledges the exceptions, like Janaka, Raikva (who not only
is not a sannyasi, but then acquires a great deal of wealth as a result of
his teaching brahma-vidya to a king), and so on. I would argue that
Shankara's injunctions for physical sannyasa are aimed at, as you suggest,
brahmins, and perhaps especially to counter their ritualism. They were his
audience and if they were brahmins in their values and temperament, and not
merely by birth, they might be suited to physical sannyasa.

And yes, there is a long lineage of physical sannyasi jnanis.

But so too there is a lineage of non-physical-sannyasi jnanis. It may not
be as well known, but right in the Gita such a lineage of kshatriya jnanis
is mentioned (4:1-2): "I proclaimed this imperishable yoga to Vivasvat;
Vivasvat communicated it to Manu, and Manu imparted it to Ikshvaku. Thus
received by succession, the royal seers knew this..." In Shankara's Bhashya
on 4:2 he writes of those seers that they were: "king-sages, those who were
kings and sages (at the same time)." Asvapati is another such mentioned in
the Brahma Sutras. Prahlada and Rama are jnani-kings.

Why is this royal lineage of jnanis less well-known? Perhaps because, as
Bhagavan says in BG 4:3, their doctrine is "secret."

There are also non-Brahmin, non-kshatriya, non-physical-sannyasis who were
also jnanis. Shankara lists both the aforementioned Raikva as well as Gargi
as knowers of Brahman who are "between asramas." (BSB 3.4.36). Tripura
Rahasya is full of non-sannyasins, sometimes the populations of entire
cities, who become jnanis. Nisargadatta Maharaj came from a grihastha
lineage.

And again with the complications of Shankara. Though I agree he seems to be
a big supporter of sannyasa at times, both before and after jnana, he also
says quite clearly in BSB 3.4.15: "[A]fter Knowledge some may choose to
work to set an example to others, while others may give up all work. There
is no binding on the knowers of the Self as regards work."

As far as Sri Vidyaranya, I'm sure it would not surprise you that not
everyone agrees with his distinctions between degrees of jnana, and between
jnanis and jivanmuktas. Again, Shankara in BSB 3.4.52 seems to support a
markedly different view: "...the question is whether Liberation can be
delayed after Knowledge, and whether there are degrees of Knowledge
according to the qualifications of the aspirant. This sutra says that no
such rule exists with respect to Liberation....the nature of final release
is uniform, without any variations of degree in it...'The Knower of Brahman
becomes Brahman,' and there can be no variety in it... Neither can there be
any delay in the attainment of Liberation after Knowledge has dawned, for
knowledge of Brahman itself is Liberation."

Akilesh Ayyar
Spiritual guidance - http://www.siftingtothetruth.com/

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 9:11 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <