[Advaita-l] Karma yoga: the kinder, softer preparation for self-inquiry and surrender

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 07:54:07 EST 2021

Namaste.

Perhaps there is a mixup  between jnAna,mOksha,sanyAsa  and jIvanmukti.

Upon Realization or jnAna, freedom from rebirth is assured. This is
irrespective of whether the jnAni takes to sanyAsa or not subsequently.
While the need for sanyasa is compulsory for jnAna, it does not mean that
sanyAsa is to be taken in the current birth for jnana. The requirement
could have been met in previous births as well. I think this is what is
covered in the observation by Sudhanshu Ji

<< My understanding has been -- the sequence of Gitabhashya 5.12 --
कर्मयोग--सत्त्व-शुद्धि -- ज्ञानप्राप्ति -- सर्वकर्मसंन्यास-- ज्ञाननिष्ठा--
मोक्ष is a sequence which spans across many lives. ज्ञाननिष्ठा and
सर्वकर्मसंन्यास require physical sanyasa. But a person in such states --
which is post सत्त्वशुद्धि -- if he dies and gets another body, he no
longer is required to again have physical sanyasa. He carries from there
and attains Moksha in whichever ashrama he is >>.

However even this is not the highest level that could be reached as per
Sidhanta. This only means mOksha is assured after the fall of the current
body. Sidhanta maintains that one could attain the same status one attains
after the fall of the body even while in the current body itself. That is
the state of jIvanmukti. For this sanyAsa is compulsory. This is what is
meant by vidvat sanyAsa, and is meant by Yagnyavalkya when he decides to
take to sanyasa even though he is a jnAni. By this action of his,
Yagnnyavalkya himself confirms the need for sanyAsa to become a jIvanmukta
even for a jnAni.

This is my understanding.
Regards

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 2:16 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <