[Advaita-l] Proof for 84 lakhs of birth

Sudhakar Kabra sudhakarkabra at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 10:18:33 EST 2021

 Kindly see the link below:
8.4 Million species of life according to Vishnu Purana ~ 84 lakh yoni

|  |  |

|  |
8.4 Million species of life according to Vishnu Purana ~ 84 lakh yoni

It also gives the breakup of different yonis like water borne, trees and plants, birds, insects,four legged animals, humans totalling 84 lacs.
Regards
Sudhakar kabra

    On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 11:43:37 AM GMT+5:30, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Sat, 27 Feb 2021, Indira Sastry via Advaita-l wrote:

> Thank you so much for your reply. With all due respects to you, I don't
> have the same respect for Prabhupada, as he was our Shankara Bhagavatpada
> hater. He ridiculed our Acharya so badly. So, I don't take his word as an
> authority.

Yet sometimes he is right on some things.  My attitude to people like him
is to treat their words as a pointer and platform for my own investigation.
After all the Bhagavata is not a closed book.  We can readily check for
ourselves if someone is telling the truth or not.

But about 84 lakhs.  I don't think it should be taken literally.  It is an
example of a "round" number.  For instance in English a dozen means 12.
We definitely can't call 3  or 1000 a dozen but you can describe 11 or 13
that way.  84 lakhs simply means "a lot."  What thw shastras are trying to
convey is not an exact number but that human birth is very precious as it
is the result of a long and arduous journey through many births so one
should "bhaja govindam" and not waste it on frivolous pursuits.