[Advaita-l] Dialogues with the guru.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 11:47:53 EDT 2021

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 7:20 PM Kaushik Chevendra via Advaita-l <

> In the book "Dialogues with the guru",the discourses of shri chandrashekara
> bharathi are recorded.
> In one of the discussions-
>

> V:But the Government has interfered and has also made the law. What are the
> people to do?
> H. H.: That is a matter which each man has to decide for himself—whether he
> prefers to suffer the penalties mentioned in the Sastras or to suffer the
> penalties threatened to be imposed by the Government.
> V.: In either case, he has to suffer. Will not the fact that he is
> violating the Sastras only under the compulsion of the Government excuse
> him in the eyes of God ?
> H. H.: Certainly not. Even in your secular law, the fact that you were
> compelled to commit a crime by another stronger than yourself will not
> entitle you to an acquittal. If you choose to avoid a present in-
> convenience and risk a greater inconvenience in the future, it is purely an
> act of your volition and you must be prepared to take the consequences.
> There is no justification for throwing the blame on others.
>

> My question is should a person stick to shastra when it is prohibhited by
> the law? Such as acts of child marriage as mentioned above?

In such matters the advice of and position taken by the Acharyas, the
Jagadgurus, of the present time, is the Pramana.  When a person is faced
with a situation that you hypothesise, it is best to seek the advice of the
Jagadguru.  Also, the writings of the earlier Jagadgurus in the matter are
also there.

regards
subbu