[Advaita-l] On Ramana

Ven Balakrishnan ventzu at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 14:58:04 EDT 2021

Dear Bhaskar-ji

There is an interesting statement in Sankara’s bhasya to BG18.50:

“Therefore what is to be undertaken is only the elimination of the superimposition on Brahman through ignorance, but no effort is needed for knowing Brahman, for It is quite self-evident. It is because the intellect is distracted by particular appearances of name and from imagined through ignorance. . .”

So that is the essence - not a new knowledge to be gained, even one that (theoretically) negates ignorance, but the actual elimination of the superimposition, ultimately of the arising of the ‘me/mine’ thought.  Much of what Sankara says - for example in BG13.2 - is that the teacher should be consistent with sruti; and if not, he is unreliable.

I don’t think I have come across quite such a definitive pronouncement by Sankara as you imply below.  I would be grateful if you would point me to such a comment.

Best wishes,

venkat