[Advaita-l] On Ramana

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 00:40:38 EDT 2021

Namaste Venkat ji
He is referring to "असम्प्रदायवित् मूर्खवत् उपेक्षणीयः।" - (someone who is
not sampradAya-vit  i.e., a knower of the Advaita teaching tradition -
should be ignored as a fool) - a well known phrase from shankara bhAShya.

This is taken to mean a critique particularly of those who study the Vedas
and yet do not understand or teach Advaita.

It refers to those who despite studying the Vedas etc.,  teach that "I am a
samsaari , a sukhI and a dukhI. Ishvara the kShetraGYA, is different from
the body. He is the kShetraGYa and the kShetra or body is (always) his
viShaya. I shall *do* sAxAtkAra of Ishvara by meditation and *become*
established as Ishvara and become one with his svarUpa. Those who believe
in such a process and teach others such an idea are ignorant of the Advaita
sAmpradAya and are to be ignored like a fool even if they gave studied all
the shAstras." (Rough translation).

इदं च अन्यत् पाण्डित्यं केषाञ्चित् अस्तु — क्षेत्रज्ञः ईश्वर एव । क्षेत्रं
च अन्यत् क्षेत्रज्ञस्यैव विषयः । अहं तु संसारी सुखी दुःखी च । संसारोपरमश्च
मम कर्तव्यः क्षेत्रक्षेत्रज्ञविज्ञानेन, ध्यानेन च ईश्वरं क्षेत्रज्ञं
साक्षात्कृत्वा तत्स्वरूपावस्थानेनेति । यश्च एवं बुध्यते, यश्च बोधयति, नासौ
क्षेत्रज्ञः इति । एवं मन्वानः यः सः पण्डितापशदः, संसारमोक्षयोः शास्त्रस्य च
अर्थवत्त्वं करोमीति ; आत्महा स्वयं मूढः अन्यांश्च व्यामोहयति
शास्त्रार्थसम्प्रदायरहितत्वात् , श्रुतहानिम् अश्रुतकल्पनां च कुर्वन् ।
तस्मात् असम्प्रदायवित् सर्वशास्त्रविदपि मूर्खवदेव उपेक्षणीयः ॥ Gita 13.2
bhAShya.

As can be seen, the context is that some teachers talking of *doing*
something like meditation etc., which leads to an event called *becoming*
one with Ishvara. The current status of being a samsaari is regarded as an
absolutely real status which needs to be ended by our efforts. The kShetra
and kShetraGYA are different but equally real. Such is their dualistic view
like in sAMkhya's purUSha and prakriti which are both real and by whose
discrimination, one becomes established in one's true nature by the power
of meditation. (The GYAna and karma difference and the lacking of
understanding of vyAvahArika and pAramArthika orders of reality renders
such vedic views outside the Advaita tradition although they accept the
Vedas).

The above powerful saying has in recent times been extended to other
teachers who do needless nitpicking. But that's another story.

Om

Raghav

On Fri, 25 Jun, 2021, 12:46 am Ven Balakrishnan via Advaita-l, <