[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Anand N anand.natampalli at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 03:06:07 EDT 2021

Namaste,

When I read about Arjuna being called a Jnani and the quote being used from
BG, it was very suspect.
Jaldharji took the effort to point out to sources in Mahabharatha which
shows otherwise.
These excerpts were simply speculated upon.
The problem of or the rules of the tradition, is that the texts are
Pramana, since Anubhava cannot be documented.
If we interpret texts however we want, then we are entering chaos, which
will be inconsistent with the overall message of the Vedas.

Now historically, there have been several Gurus post Ramana or who claim to
be in the Ramana tradition, who teach "direct path" or the high-path etc.
Many of them
do not even consider the need for Ishwara, since one can argue that one is
Brahman and Ishwara is superfluous.
Or one can quote Bhagvad Gita Chapter 12 verse 3 and say that Ishwara is
for Manda Adhikaris. This is just an example of
what is happening in the Advaita marketplace. These Gurus are usually
categorised as the neo-vedantins.

Let us now see the rules of this list,
https://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/lists/
Focus of the list is also NOT on the new non-dual and neo-vedanta
teachings. But, scholarly articles comparing these traditions with
traditional advaita-vedAnta are welcome.

The problem is the word neo-vedanta is nebulous, since it's very hard to
define who all fall under the category.
For e.g. for me J. Krishnamurthi would be a Neo Vedantin. But wikipedia
will define it otherwise.

Now within the tradition itself, we have several post Shankara schools, and
this group or outside of this group itself there are
several debates between scholars on several doctrinal topics such as
1. Locus of Avidya
2. DSV+ EJV vs NJV
3. Several other "vadas"
Or Dharmic Issues such as
1. Role of caste
2. Duty of women
The very people of this group or elsewhere will then take positions, which
will make them conservative, moderate or liberals.
These are all then finally subjective views.

When one sees things from the Paramarthika point of view of Brahman, there
is oneness in the teachings of the traditionalists and anyone else.
Which is why when Akileshji is talking about Brahman, one can see that it
is consistent.

Anyway it's a question of scope of a group and the moderator has to make
those decisions.

Om Namo Narayanaya,
Anand

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 06:14, KAMESWARARAO MULA via Advaita-l <