[Advaita-l] dream

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 02:01:28 EDT 2021

Thank you for the answers respected elders.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, 11:23 V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <

> [...]
> पुनरस्याकर्तृत्वमिति — कार्यकरणैर्मूर्तैः संश्लेषः मूर्तस्य, स तु
> क्रियाहेतुर्दृष्टः ; न ह्यमूर्तः कश्चित् क्रियावान् दृश्यते ; अमूर्तश्च
> आत्मा, अतोऽसङ्गः ; यस्माच्च असङ्गोऽयं पुरुषः, तस्मात् अनन्वागतः तेन
> स्वप्नदृष्टेन ; अत एव न क्रियाकर्तृत्वमस्य कथञ्चिदुपपद्यते ;
> कार्यकरणसंश्लेषेण हि कर्तृत्वं स्यात् ; स च संश्लेषः सङ्गः अस्य नास्ति, यतः
> असङ्गो ह्ययं पुरुषः ; तस्मात् अमृतः । एवमेव एतत् याज्ञवल्क्य ; सोऽहं भगवते
> सहस्रं ददामि ; अत ऊर्ध्वं विमोक्षायैव ब्रूहि ; मोक्षपदार्थैकदेशस्य
> कर्मप्रविवेकस्य सम्यग्दर्शितत्वात् ; अत ऊर्ध्वं विमोक्षायैव ब्रूहीति ॥
>
> Swami Madhavananda's translation:
>
> Mantra:  15. After enjoying himself and roaming, and
> merely seeing (the results of) good and evil (in
> dreams), he (stays) in a state of profound sleep,
> and comes back in the inverse order to his former
> condition, the dream state. He is untouched by
> whatever he sees in that state, for this infinite
> being is unattached. 'It is just so, Yajiiavalkya.
> I give you a thousand (cows), sir.
> Please iftstruct me further about liberation
> itself.'
>
> Bhashya:
>
> i.e. experiencing
> the fatigue due to it, and merely seeing, not
> doing, good and evil, i.e. their results (pleasure and
> pain). We have already said (p. 633) that good and
> evil cannot be directly visualised. Hence he is not
> fettered by them. Only one who does good and evil
> is so fettered ; one certainly cannot come under their
> binding influence by merely seeing them. Therefore,
> being identified with dreams, the self transcends death
> also, not merely its forms. Hence death cannot be urged
> to be its nature. Were it so, the self would be
> doing things in dreams ; but it does not. If activity
> be the .nature of the self, it will never attain Liberation ;
> but it is not, for it is absent in dreams. Hence the·
> self can get rid of death in the form of good and evil.
> Objection : But is not activity its nature in the·
> waking state ?
> Reply : No, that is due to its limiting adjuncts,
> the intellect etc. This has been proved on the ground
> of apparent activity from the text, 'It thinks, as it
> .were, and shakes. as it were' (IV. iii. 7).
>
> It may be asked. how is one to know that a man
> does not do good and evil in dreams, but merely sees
> their results? Rather the presumption is that as he
> does good and evil in the waking state, so he does
> them in the dream state also, for the experience is the
> same in both cases. This is being answered: He, the
> self, is untouched by whatever results of good and evil
> he sees in that dream state. If he actually did anything
> in dreams, he would be bound by it ; and it
> would pursue him even after he woke up. But it is
> not known in everyday life that he is pursued by deeds
> done in dreams. Nobody considers himself a sinner
> oil account of sins committed in dreams ; nor do people
> who have heard of them condemn or shun him. Therefore

This is enough to answer the question.
What I have understood is that, even though we might not be bound by such
actions in dreams, we must pray to hari, to avoid such dreams.
I might be wrong, but this is what I inferred from reading various
Knoweldagble answers of the elders.