[Advaita-l] dream

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 17:04:50 EDT 2021

PraNAms
As I understand, the dream is expression of suppressions and oppressions in the waking state forming the requisite vasanaas. If the activities in the dream are immoral, it therefore indicates that the mind had those suppressed thoughts in the past.
If one wakes up and recognizes those dreams, it means that their impressions are strong.
Hence it is important to purify the mind so that the mind is free from those thoughts that pulls one down. One best suggestion that I can make, and that also works for me is to think of the Lord before you go to sleep offering all the actions of the day at this feet.
And think of Him again in the morning when one gets up for giving you one more day to do duties that can be offered to Him - meaning the dharmic duties. niyatam kuru - is the instruction - Do your obligatory duties.
That way the mind gets slowly purified and most of the dreams will be of satvic nature.
In essence, mind needs to be purified from the past impressions.

Hari Om!Sadananda

    On Sunday, June 20, 2021, 03:08:44 AM EDT, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Mon, 14 Jun 2021, Kaushik Chevendra wrote:

> namaste sir.Sir,is there a sin in dreams sir? if one commits a mistake in a
> dream should he perform a penance?
> i have searched in the smriti texts sir,but there has been no mention of
> penance for a dream.
> But says that a sin committed mentally too,needs a penance.But in the dream
> we arent completely aware  sir,so is it a mental sin?

Kaushika asked me this question but in the recent fuss I didn't answer
sorry.  I'm posting to the list because I'd like to check if other members
agree with my answer which is:

Just as the rope can appear to be a snake, if some sin happens in a dream
and the dreamer believes it is real then he should make a prayaschitta for
it.  But if he knows it is just a dream, then he as the creator of that
dream world can absolve himself of any wrongdoing.