[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 05:22:03 EDT 2021

Namaste Akhilesh ji
Not so fast. The formal donning of saffron robes is not the main point of
discussion here. It is the role or importance of *external renunciation* in
Advaita Vedanta and in Sri Ramana's approach.

   We have all noted how Sri Ramana's closest disciples like Murugunar,
Annamalai Swami, Vishwanath Swami, Balaram Reddy, were austere sAdhus with
a lifestyle embodying external renunciation though not saffron clad
sannyAsis. Even Ganapati Muni never took sannyAsa, but the lifestyles of
all these "non-sannyasis" was anything but the usual pursuit of artha and
kAma. If you agree that, among such disciples who (arguably) best embodied
Sri Ramana's teachings,  such a sAdhu lifestyle was the norm rather than a
rAjarshi lifestyle (i.e., just practise or claim to practise GYAnamayam
tapas).

The important point is that when avidyA is destroyed kAma and karma too
wither away. If they don't significantly get destroyed, such GYAnam is only
a helpful glimpse or semblance of self-knowledge. And it would not be wise
to account for all of the remaining kAmas and karmas as just harmless
prArabdha which need not be examined for whether they are originating from
avidyA. Many modern advaitins and gurus make that mistake of assuming that
their kAmas and karmas are all just prArabdha.

In Advaita,  avidyA is the cause of kAma which in turn is the cause of
karma. Then the question is, if a person is striving for avidyA
destruction, will kAma and karma continue as before (both as he journeys
towards clearer understanding and upon reaching its culmination of GYAna
niShThA) - with a justification that since all karma is only prArabdha and
since avidyA is only inner change, everything else including the outer life
of pursuing wealth and pleasure remains the same as before. Only doership
is no longer there. This "external business-as-usual" idea is opposed to
traditional Advaita vedAnta.

Bhagavan and Sri Ramakrishna guided their "full-time" disciples like
Vishwanatha Swami and Vivekananda along different lines than "part-time"
grihasthas who asked "is outer renunciation so important?", "Can a
grihastha realise etc?". Sri Ramana never claimed that all manner of
desires viz., kAma and all initiatives viz.,  karma continue as before and
only doership goes away. On the contrary he said a GYAnI has no sankalpas
or "resolve." It is highly unconvincing if someone claims to lead a regular
grihastha life dedicated to his personal family, wealth and career and
asserts that he is free of saMkalpas.

Like I said, in Sri Ramana's works, its a matter of personal predilection
as to which quote overrides which one as can be seen in posts in this
thread.

But the overall Advaita vedAnta tradition unequivocally emphasises external
renunciation as a concomittant to the pursuit of self-knowledge.

Om
Raghav

On Sun, 20 Jun, 2021, 1:49 am Akilesh Ayyar via Advaita-l, <