[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Sat Jun 19 16:21:21 EDT 2021

Namaste,

I know they eat because they don't want to die, which is exactly why "dead
to themselves and their possessions" cannot be interpreted literally, as
had been suggested.

You suggest it means instead "to leave the web of social relationships and
the karma that powers them," but that's clearly equally untrue. Ramana and
Ramakrishna and Sankara all were very much in a web of social relations
with the associated karma. Interacting with devotees, talking about the
Self, being involved in ashram life... all of that is social relations.

Akilesh
ᐧ

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <