[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Fri Jun 18 15:00:12 EDT 2021

Namaste,

Yes, he says the sannyasa path *may* be regarded as helpful... but he never
says the householder path is inferior, and is a lower stage of maturity,
and he actively and often objects to that characterization.

Obviously, sannyasa *is* a good fit for some people. It would be absurd to
argue otherwise.

But what doesn't gel with Ramana's teaching is that is he regarded it as
*required* for the spiritual aspirant at *any *point... that he said it was
a necessary thing after a certain stage of maturity, or anything like that.

That's all total misrepresentation of his teaching.

That's why there is *zero* mention of physical sannyasa in 40 verses and
supplement, Nan Yar, or Upadesa Saram.

That's why you can find innumerable examples of him saying that the real
sannyasa is *not* the physical.

See this dialogue.

D: *How does a grihastha fare in the scheme of moksha? Should he not
necessarily become a mendicant in order to attain liberation?*

Again, a direct question. Let's not pretend Maharshi is lying to a direct
question.

M: *Why do you think you are a grihastha? Similar thoughts that you are a
sannyasin will haunt you, even if you go out as a sannyasin.* Whether you
continue in the household or renounce it and go to the forest, your mind
haunts you. The ego is the source of thought. It creates the body and the
world, and it makes you think of being the grihastha. If you renounce, it
will only substitute the thought of sannyasa for that of grihastha, and the
environment of the forest for that of the household. But the mental
obstacles are always there for you. They even increase greatly in the new
surroundings. It is no help to change the environment. *The one obstacle is
the mind; it must be got over whether in the home or in the forest. If you
can do it in the forest, why not in the home? Therefore, why change the
environment? Your efforts can be made even now, whatever be the
environment.*

Maharshi's answer cannot be any clearer.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l <