[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Tue Jun 15 12:26:45 EDT 2021

Namaste,

This is the commentary on the next verse.

From
https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/2021/6/15/commentary-on-ramanas-forty-verses-invocatory-part-two-of-two
:

II. THOSE WHO KNOW INTENSE FEAR OF DEATH SEEK REFUGE ONLY AT THE FEET OF
THE LORD WHO HAS NEITHER DEATH NOR BIRTH. DEAD TO THEMSELVES AND THEIR
POSSESSIONS, CAN THE THOUGHT OF DEATH OCCUR TO THEM AGAIN? DEATHLESS ARE
THEY.

*Commentary:* All fear is rooted in the fear of death. But death can only
afflict what is born, that is, what is changing: that is, what is thought.
We have just seen that what is Real is unchanging, and that what is Real is
us.

The Lord who has neither birth nor death is none other than this very
Reality, the Heart. This Lord may go by many other names — Shiva or Vishnu
or God or the Goddess, for example. But ultimately they all refer to this
unchanging Reality.

In order to take refuge at the feet of this Lord, all else must be given
up. This giving up is a kind of death. By dying to what is changing — to
what one thought one was, but in fact is not — one realizes oneself to
actually be the unchanging. What seems mortal has in fact never been born
to begin with, and what is immortal cannot die. And the thought of death
cannot occur to the immortals, which are those who have given up their
stake in everything changing.

At any time, see all the forty verses posts that I have published so far
here
<https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/tag/Forty%20Verses%20Commentary>.
Akilesh Ayyar
Spiritual guidance - http://www.siftingtothetruth.com/