[Advaita-l] Omniscient Lord and free will.

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 03:09:20 EDT 2021

Namaste Subbuji,

Your post reminded me of an old verse from the chitsukhI - there it is said
omniscience is of two types - svarUpatah sarvajnatva and pramANatah.

स्वरूपतः प्रमाणैव सर्वज्ञत्वं द्विधा स्थितम् ।
तच्चोभयं विनाऽविद्यासंबन्धं नैव सिध्यति ॥

The former refers to jnapti, which is the sarvAvabhAsaka kshamatvam that
you refer to. The latter sarvajnatva is of the nature of knowing everything
that I think Kaushik ji is referring to.

Both, says chitsukhAchArya, are because of consciousness's association with
ignorance.

Reminds one of the bhAShyakAra's words from the ArambhaNAdhikaraNam -

तदेवमविद्यात्मकोपाधिपरिच्छेदापेक्षमेवेश्वरस्येश्वरत्वं सर्वज्ञत्वं
सर्वशक्तित्वं च, न परमार्थतो विद्यया अपास्तसर्वोपाधिस्वरूपे आत्मनि
ईशित्रीशितव्यसर्वज्ञत्वादिव्यवहार उपपद्यते ;

Regards,
Venkatraghavan