[Advaita-l] Tattvabodha of Adi Sankaracharya - 28

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 15:34:07 EST 2021

(Continued from previous post)

http://svbf.org/wp-content/uploads/tattvabodha/6_Tattvabodha_Evolution-RajasTamas.pdf

Tattva Bodha of Adi Sankaracharya -
Vedantic Primer: Part 2 (contd.)

(Lecture Notes compiled by Venkat Ganesan from the series of
SVBF Lectures given by Dr. S. YEGNASUBRAMANIAN)

Under the discussion of Creation (Section 3.1), we briefly outlined the evolution of the sattva
aspect in the previous article. We will now continue with the discussion of the evolution of the
rajas and tamas aspects.

3.1.3 Evolution of the rajas Aspect

The second aspect of mAyA (which is
triguNAtmikA) is rajas and it also appears in
the five elements and consequently in the
jagat. From the rajo-guNa (action or agility)
aspect of the five basic elements, evolved the
karmendriyas (organs of action) as follows
speech (Space), hands (Air), legs or locomotion
(Fire), genitals (Water) and Anus (Earth) . Then,
from the total (samashTi) rAjasic aspect of the
five basic elements, the panca prANa's (five
vital airs) are born.

3.1.3.1 Organs of Action

 AkAshasya rAjasA.nshAt vAgindriya.n sambhUtam .

>From among these five elements, from the rAjasic
aspect of AkASa:, the organ of speech evolved.

 vAyoH rAjasA.nshAt pANIndriya.n sambhUtam .

>From  the  rAjasic  aspect  of  vAyu,  the  hand
evolved.

 vanhe rAjasA.nshAt pAdendriya.n sambhUtam .

>From the rAjasic aspect of agni:, the leg evolved.

 jalasya rAjasA.nshAt upasthendriya.n sambhUtam .

>From the rAjasic aspect of Water, the genitals
evolved.

 pR^ithivyA rAjasA.nshAt gudendriya.n sambhUtam .

>From the rAjasic aspect of Earth, the anus
evolved.

3.1.3.2 Five Vital Airs

 eteShA.n samaShTirAjasA.nshAt pa~nchaprANAH sambhUtAH .

>From  the  total  rAjasic  aspect  of  these  five
elements, the five vital  airs evolved (comprising
of prANa, apAna, vyAna, udAna and samaAna).

Thus, from the rAjasic aspect of the five subtle
elements, the prANamaya koSa (comprising
the panca prANas and the karmendriyas)
evolved as given below.

>From the rajas aspect of - is formed
------------------------------------
AkASa - Speech
vAyu - hands
agni - Legs
ApaH - genitals
pRRithvi - anus
Total of five - Five airs

Thus, from the sAttVic and rAjasic aspects of
the five elements, evolved the sUkshma SarIra
and the sUkshma prapanca. This concludes the
discussion of the creation of the subtle aspects
of the body and the universe.

(Continued in next post)