[Advaita-l] Praishoccarana

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jan 12 01:56:47 EST 2021

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l wrote:

> Put in a succinct way // Praishocharana is a Mantra that means the one
> taking up Sannyasa is declaring granting freedom to all from fear on
> account of Him. //  In other words he vows to abstain from causing any fear
> to any being.  Ahimsa.

According to Dharmasindhu, that vow is part of viraja homa which takes
place before praishocchara.  He offers an anjali saying

putreShaNA vitteShaNA lokeShaNA sarveShaNA mayA parityaktA abhayaM
sarvabhUtebhyo mattaH svAhA ||

The praishocchara itself begins with OM bhUH saMnyastaMmayA etc. up to
danda etc. grahana according to this shastra.  Though as I said, I think
in actual  practice a more specialized paddhati is used by the various
akhadhas and maths.