[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 10:04:08 EST 2021

Namaste

The world is illusion does not mean it does  not follow any rules. The good
and bad are also Maya. There  is a fight between good and evil like in a
film. The good hero will defeat the bad villain. When the villain is
harassing people the hero will come to defeat him. The hero gives assurance
to people he will come whenever they need him and rescue them. All this is
happening in the film but not really.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 3:27 PM Vishesh Bhat via Advaita-l <

> My humble pranams to all,
>
> I apologize beforehand for my experience with Advaita Vedanta is very
> minimal, so this question showcases my limited understanding, but I wanted
> to clear my doubt nonetheless.
>
> If Advaita Vedanta propounds that "Brahman alone is real", and that
> opposites such as "good" and "evil", "joy and suffering" are solely an
> illusion of the "JivAtma" under the "Avarana shakti of mAya, then what is
> the requirement for "avatars" of Saguna Brahman? How is the need for such
> Avatars explained in the context of Advaita Vedanta?
>
> I recognise the need for enlightened men or "Jivanmuktas" such as the
> revered Sri Shankara, Sri Ramakrishna as "JivAtmas" who were able to
> successfully realize their true self and break out of this illusion and at
> the same time played the role of "Gurus" to guide the rest of us. I can
> also understand " Sri Krishna" as an Avatar who gave his guidance in the
> form of the Gita.
>
> But I do not understand the need for Avatars intended for the destruction
> of evil beings or "Asuras" (who are themselves part of Brahman)?. Isn't
> "asuri pravritti" also merely a deeper form or a "TAmasic" form of
> illusion". Aren't Asuras also ultimately bound by the Law of Karma? So what
> is the need for Saguna Brahman to appear as Varaha or Vamana avatar?
>
> I want to stress that I am myself open to the importance of all the four
> yogas, Bhakti especially, so this is not meant to be dismissive of such
> ideas, but merely an attempt to gain better understanding.
>

> Vishesh.

Regards

-Venkatesh