[Advaita-l] Proof for 84 lakhs of birth

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 10:51:32 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:44 PM Indira Sastry <sastryindira at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namasthe Subbuji
> Thank you so much for your reply. With all due respects to you, I don't
> have the same respect for Prabhupada, as he was our Shankara Bhagavatpada
> hater. He ridiculed our Acharya so badly. So, I don't take his word as an
> authority.

I understand your sentiments.  However, looking at the way Bhagavatpada
himself has set an example, it would be amazing to see that he has not
hesitated to openly applaud the opponent when the credit is due.  For
example, the Sankhya system has been heavily censured and refuted by our
Acharya. Yet, He says about them:  They are adepts in classification of the
tattva-s that constitute the observed world.  The Bauddha comes for severe
criticism by the Vedantin. Yet Shankara softens when he observes, while
enumerating the doctrinal points of the Bauddha, the ephemerality of the
world, the binding nature of sense objects, etc. listed by the Bauddha,
'who indeed would disagree with these?'.  Shankara has explicitly stated
the maxim: para matam apratishiddham, anumatam bhavati = the opponent's
points, when they do not contradict with our system, they are admissible.
 So, while I was aware of what you have stated about Prabhupada while
copying and citing here, I had the attitude of Bhagavatpada in mind.  Hence
alone I cited that here.  That too, in the absence of the direct Purana
statements.  Now that Sri Venkatesh Murthy has provided the Purana
references, we have no issues.

regards
subbu