[Advaita-l] shankaracharya and mutts in india

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Feb 26 01:12:17 EST 2021

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021, Aravind M via Advaita-l wrote:

> Hi all,
> Can someone mention about all the authentic shankara mutts in india other
> than the 4 mutts established by shankara

There is also a matha said to be founded by Gaudapadacharya in Goa.

There is a big controversy about Kanchi.  Was it founded by Shankaracharya
or was it a branch of Shringeri that broke away?

Personally I do not think it was based on the evidence as I've reviewed
it but there are respectable people who believe otherwise.  And in any
case its' acharyas have shown themselves to be exemplars of of Vedic
dharma and worthy of respect by anyone who claims to be a follower of the
same.

But this raises the question, by authentic do you mean historically
authentic or doctrinally authentic?