[Advaita-l] SAGE UPAMANYU PART 32 - UPAMANYU SAYS SHIVA CAN GRANT THE POST OF BRAHMA, VISHNU & INDRA TO ANYBODY

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:02:45 EDT 2021

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 8:28 PM Kaushik Chevendra <
chevendrakaushik at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I think these type of statements are a form of praise and shouldn't be
> taken literally.

Advaitins alone view such statements, about Vishnu or Rudra, as 'na ni
nindaa nyaaya', that is a praise of one deity against another, to inculcate
devotion to the former.  Since the Bhakti siddhanta also says that no other
deity should be denigrated in real terms and this will cause the
displeasure of the deity he holds high, there is a check on the devotee's
attitude towards his non-Ishta devataa.

regards