[Advaita-l] Ananda Ramayana

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Aug 26 03:17:29 EDT 2021

On Thu, 26 Aug 2021, Kaushik Chevendra wrote:

>       Shankaracharya answers that karma
>       only adheres to a particular body.  It is not a characteristic
>       of the true
>       self.
>
> But the actions of previous life(another body) affect the present one. And
> the action of present body affects the future one. How can that be so if the
> above is true?

It is that bundle of karmas that has accumulated which results in the
repeated assumption of new bodies and the delusion that "I am this body."
This in turn causes more karma and more rebirth infinitely.

By contrast when a yogi or devata takes a body in the way mentioned
previously it is only instrumental and does not affect him just we
wouldn't e.g. arrest an actor for murder because his character shot a
villain in some film action scene.