[Advaita-l] Inward and outward contemplation

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 08:19:13 EDT 2021

Namaste.

Under

<< Reg  <<  It

should defintely include inward focus but sometimes I think it gets
forgotten that Brahman is "pervades all this and ten fingers beyond" as
the purushasukta puts it.  The root bR^inn from which brahman is derived
also means growth or increase.  Brahman is as much "out there" as "in
here." >>

But for successful  "inward" contemplation leading to
जीवब्रह्मैक्यज्ञानम् (jIvabrahmaikya
j~nAnam), Vairagya is an essential sAdhana. This is aided by
जगन्मिथ्यात्वज्ञानम् (jaganmithyAtvaj~nAnam). It is essential to understand
that what is “out there” is mithyA. >>,

Perhaps I should also have added that the knowledge that << Brahman is as
much "out there" >> leads to parOksha jnAna only and not to Realization.

Regards