[Advaita-l] Power of bakthi

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 05:44:48 EDT 2021

The shastras are very clear in the point that
vedas,pilgrimages,sacrifices cannot purify a man of bad conduct.
As these are purification of actions done unknowingly or done only once for
which repentance is there. And hence there being no way for a man of bad
conduct to purify himself.

But in the gita 9.30 bagavan says-

*api cet su-durācārobhajate mām ananya-bhāksādhur eva sa mantavyaḥsamyag
vyavasito hi saḥ*
*Even if the vilest sinners worship Me with exclusive devotion, they are to
be considered righteous, for they have made the proper resolve.*
*Why and how?*
kṣhipraṁ bhavati dharmātmā śhaśhvach-chhāntiṁ nigachchhati
kaunteya pratijānīhi na me bhaktaḥ praṇaśhyati
Quickly they become virtuous, and attain lasting peace. O son of Kunti,
declare it boldly that no devotee of Mine is ever lost.

*Such is the power of bakthi. But its not right to think the baktha is
absolved of all his actions as that is only for a jnanin. But as jagadguru
vidyatirtha swamin says, its bought down to the least extent without
causing a tragression of dharma. The lord again cannot be accused of
partiality as he says-*
samo ’haṁ sarva-bhūteṣhu na me dveṣhyo ’sti na priyaḥ
ye bhajanti tu māṁ bhaktyā mayi te teṣhu chāpyaham
I am equally disposed to all living beings; I am neither inimical nor
partial to anyone. But the devotees who worship Me with love reside in Me
and I reside in them.

*namo narayanaya*