[Advaita-l] Gajendra moksham

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 23:12:37 EDT 2021

Namaskaram,

I very much enjoy the stories of Srimad Bhagavatham that show Ishwara’s
kaarunyam. And more so the many advaitic teachings contained in the stories
of Bhagavatham.

However, it appears that Shankara Bhagavadpada never quoted anything from
these stories in his works. I am curious to know if this is indeed true and
if yes, why.

There was a similar question raised in the group about Yoga Vasishtam
earlier, for which one possible explanation was that the original text
(called “Mokshopaya”) had evolved quite a bit and is possibly lost in its
original form, and that the text that is available to us now is dated after
Shankara’s time period. Therefore, Yoga Vasishtam was not quoted by
Shankara.

Is there an explanation for why Srimad Bhagavatham is not referred to by
Shankara in his works (if indeed  he has not quoted anything from it)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on this 🙏

On Sun 8. Aug 2021 at 21:28, Kaushik Chevendra via Advaita-l <