[Advaita-l] Mandukya UP - Praviviktabhuk definition

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:05:48 EDT 2020

Namaste Chandramouliji,

Sure, the difference can be explained in any way but the samAsa is
experiencer of something different. The Bhashya quotation proves the same
as below:

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 4:16 PM H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> विषयशून्यायां प्रज्ञायां केवलप्रकाशस्वरूपायां

unto the prajnA which is bereft of viShaya = pravivikta  and thereby only
of the nature of prakAsha.

विषयित्वेन भवतीति तैजसः ।

This explains praviviktabhuk, for pravivikta. viShayI, not viShaya.

> विश्वस्य सविषयत्वेन प्रज्ञायाः स्थूलाया भोज्यत्वम् ;

Due to Vishva having viShayas, his experience is of sthUlA prajnA.

> इह पुनः केवला वासनामात्रा प्रज्ञा भोज्येति प्रविविक्तो भोग इति ।  >>.

Here (in dream) though, due to mere vAsanA prajnA being experienced, it is
a *pravivikta = different bhoga*

As I said, the word pravivikta should not land into jIva, the experiencer,
but the word praviviktabhuk should land in that meaning. If you say jIva
experiences himself, I have no arguments per se siddhAnta-wise
(technically, there is kartR-karma-virodha to be explained, etc), but I
want to keep to the context of the question itself.

gurupAduke natosmi,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */