[Advaita-l] An etymology for the term 'tripuTee'

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 05:09:58 EDT 2020

Namaste.

द्वैतम्  (dvaitam) can be understood in a variety of ways. For example as
Panchabhutas, sthula/sukshma etc. Basically they serve as covering for the
Reality and projecting it differently. They veil Reality.  त्रिपुटी  (Triputi)
is also one of the ways  of addressing  द्वैतम् (dvaitam) . It comprises
three elements namely  ज्ञातृ (jnAtru), ज्ञान (jnAna) and ज्ञेय (jneya).
The nature of each of ज्ञातृ (jnAtru),ज्ञान (jnAna) and ज्ञेय  (jneya) is
to cover the Reality and present it differently. Hence in the statement
under consideration,

<<  त्रयाणां  ज्ञातृज्ञानज्ञेयरूपाणां पुटानाम् आकाराणां समाहारः त्रिपुटी |
>>,

 ** पुटानाम् आकाराणां **  (पुटा meaning covering ) is to be understood as
an  alternative rendering of **ज्ञातृज्ञानज्ञेयरूपाणां**.
Regards

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>