[Advaita-l] Ekashloki.... किं ज्योतिः

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 11:43:43 EST 2020

Ekashloki.... किं ज्योतिः
Deepavali SHUBHAASHAYAGALU.
//////
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NNezv57_2818PqLo2_yjdJXjKeKC_Acr/view?usp=drivesdk

https://vinodvarmah.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/sankaracharyas-eka-sloki/
Sankaracharya’s Eka Sloki

I chanced upon an Eka Sloki from Adi Sankaracharya
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Sankaracharya>, while listening to some
lectures on Advaita/Vedantic philosophy <http://www.nochurlisteners.com/>.
Sankaracharya has successfully encapsulated the essence of Vedantic
philosophy in this single (eka) Sloka <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shloka>

Eka sloki goes like:
Kim Jyothistava Bhaanumaanahani Me Ratrau Pradeepadikam
Shyaadevam, Ravideepadarshanavidhau Kim Jyothiraakhyahi me
Chakshuhtasya Nimeelanaadisamaye Kim Dheehrdheeyo Darshane
Kim Tatraahamatho Bhavaanparamakam Jyothihtadasmi Prabho

It is presented as a dialogue between a teacher (Guru) and student
(SIshya), in response to a question by the student on realization of self.

Dialogue translates as:
Guru: How do you see (What is that light/power which helps you see?)
Sishya: I see with the help of sunlight
Guru: How do you see in the night?
Sishya: I see with the help of a lamp
Guru: Let that be so. How do you see the light? How do you see (your
visualizations) even before you open your eyes?
Sishya: It is with my intellect
Guru: What helps you see (know) that intellect?
Sishya: This is me (me as pure consciousness)
Guru: (Indeed) You are that supreme light
Sishya: I realize that I am

*Disclaimer: Translation is limited by limitations of my own understanding,
power of explanation and loss of meaning due to translation (for instance:
words used like Jyothi translated as light and dhee translated intellect
are compromises made for want of better choice*

Though simple and profound, only a very few gets to truly understand
vedantic philosophy. It is still harder to explain because it is not (to
be) understood by intellect but rather experienced by being, and being
aware of that experience.

As Lord Krishna <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna> has pointed out
in Bhagavat
Gita <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita>:

*Ascharyavat Pasyati Kaschitenam Aascharyavatvatathi Tateva
ChaanyahAascharyavatchaenamanyah Srunoti Sruthuaapienam Vednachaeva
KaschitSome sees it and marvelsSome speaks about it in aweSome listens to
it and wondersbut hardly anyone knows it*

I salute the master for this brilliant piece of gem.