[Advaita-l] Brahma Loka the highest within creation - the Advaitic position

Sri B sriadvaitam at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:27:24 EDT 2020

Namaskaram Subbu, first of all thank you for sharing this interesting read. I wish to seek clarity and also confirm my understanding: Apologies for asking some basic questions, these may have been elaborated in some earlier discussions.

So, Advaita, espouses two types of Mukti - Jeevanmukti and Kramamukti. Former is the result of shedding avidya and discovering the Self as the Brahman (nirguna), which happens instantaneously and while in this body.  On death of the body, the Jeevanmukta also gets freed of the sukshma sharira and therefore attains freedom from samsara, which is in my understanding, referred to as Videhi Mukti.

Kramamukti is the Atma reaching another Loka, i.e. Brahmaloka upon shedding its body.
Is this Brahmaloka basically the Advaitic equivalent of Vaikunta of the Vaishnavites and Kailasam of the Shivites?
Is this the equivalent of heaven alluded to in the semitic religions
Does this mean that the Atma along with suksma sharira reaches the abode of Brahma.
What happens to the karana sharira, i.e. will the avidya continue to remain?
Is Kramamukti a result of upasanas -meaning bhakthi and observing vidika karma? Fruits of punyam?
Is it to be considered as ‘next best’ to Jeevanmukthi. Advaita teaches us that the purpose of this life is to attain Moksha interpreting as Jeevanmukta, failing which or if one falls short then Kramamukthi is the next best outcome?
Could you please elaborate further: What are these gradations of attainment, which Sri Vidyaranya endorses, upon reaching Brahmaloka. Does it mean that the Atma will reside in an another world and will gradually makes its way to what (the Brahman?) Does Sri Sankara Baghavadpada  and Sri Chandrashekara Bharathi Mahaswami have a different view?

Thank you in advance
Sridhar