[Advaita-l] Jaati in Advaita

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 12:02:45 EDT 2020

PraNAms to all.

I am still working on Perception. Encountered somequestions in my mind.

1. Cognition vs recognition. Cognition is direct andimmediate while recognition is not and depends on the memory.

I see a person; I feel I know that person but I cannotrecognize him since my memory fails. Hence perception is direct and immediatebut recognition is not.

Normally these two take place immediately, particularlyfor objects that are very familiar or frequent perception and recognition ofthose objects. Memory is active.

I see it is a snake – since the object attributes arecommon with the snake that I have seen before (memory) – here cognition and recognitionboth are taking place.

When perception is immediate – are we referring to the cognitionpart and not necessarily to the recognition part.

2. Does Advaita admit jaati in some form? In the explanationof -sat eva Soumya idam agra aseet, ekam, eva adviteeyam .. I thought Shankaraexplains the ekam eva adviteeyam implies sajaati, vijaati, sagata bheda rahitam,If I remember correctly.

In a way, Jaati (universal) is being used in explain one withouta second.

I heard later that Jaati is not accepted other pure existenceas universal at paaramaarthika level.

If I say ‘cow’ – do I remember a generic ‘cow’ without anyparticulars – does that imply a jaati?

In essence what exactly is the Advaita position in relation tojaati at an empirical level – is cow-ness differs from horse-ness, etc.

Hari Om!

Sadananda