[Advaita-l] 'Sarva-shunya' is impossible!

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 08:34:42 EDT 2020

Namaste Subbu ji

That's an interesting topic about the Buddhist kxaNikavAda idea of
mithyAtvam not being clearly established unless there is acceptance of
satya vastu as well which they don't accept.

I recollect Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswati Ji saying that Buddhism is
dualism. Because when there is no satyam, then mithyA becomes real. The
mind and it's vagaries will come to have a compulsive and fearful hold on
us forever, since there is no tattvAntara to establish its mithyAtvam. It's
not possible to escape self-judgemwnt based on the mental state or
condition unless a higher entity is accepted and known.

So, paradoxically, duality comes to have absolute reality in such a scheme,
notwithstanding the assertions of unreality of experienced objects.

On Sun, 24 May, 2020, 1:11 PM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <

> Sarva-shunya' is impossible!
>
> An inquiry as to the validity of the sarva-shunya-vada of the Buddhists
> leads to a 'no, not valid' conclusion.
>
> How?
>
> In the Brahma-Sutra-Bhashya, Sri Shankaracharya has dismissed this school
> without much ado, saying the refutation of the vijnana-vada of the
> Buddhists is applicable here also.
>
>  शून्यवादिपक्षस्तु सर्वप्रमाणविप्रतिषिद्ध इति तन्निराकरणाय नादरः क्रियते ।
> न ह्ययं सर्वप्रमाणसिद्धो लोकव्यवहारोऽन्यत्तत्त्वमनधिगम्य शक्यतेऽपह्नोतुम् ,
> अपवादाभावे उत्सर्गप्रसिद्धेः ॥ ३१ ॥  2.2.31
>
> "The shunya-vada is without any support or evidence or authority and hence
> does not enthuse one to refute it. The loka-vyavahara which is supported by
> all evidence cannot be refuted without establishing or accepting an
> alternative principle that is higher. It is commonly accepted that what is
> experienced has to exist, unless adequately proved to the contrary."

लोकव्यवहारोऽन्यत्तत्त्वमनधिगम्य शक्यतेऽपह्नोतुम्  quoted by you, reads like
a an important general principle.

It has been translated by you as empirical reality "cannot be refuted
without establishing or accepting an
alternative principle that is higher."

That's quite lucidly put by you. For anyat-tattvam, you have translated it
as "alternative principle that is *higher*." It certainly makes sense to
say, "higher." (although the text does not explicitly mention 'higher'?)

I notice from AdvaitaSharada that bhAmati has for the kxaNikatvAcca sutra,
यथा शुक्तिकेयं न रजतं मरीचयो न तोयमेकश्चन्द्रो न चन्द्रद्वयमित्यादि,
तद्वदिहापि *समस्तप्रमाणगोचरविपरीततत्त्वान्तरव्यवस्थापनेनातात्त्विकत्वमेषां
प्रमाणानां बाधकेन दर्शनीयं*
न त्वव्यवस्थापिततत्त्वान्तरेण प्रमाणानि शक्यानि बाधितुम्

(Like even the knowledge that, this is just a shell- not silver, sublates
the silver knowledge, here too,  another well-ascertained entity, which by
sublation,  is the opposite/ the negation of all that we know through the
other pramAnas (like senses etc), is to be seen/known. )

Can we split the long compound word
समस्तप्रमाणगोचरविपरीततत्त्वान्तरव्यवस्थापनेन
as समस्तप्रमाणगोचरविपरीतः च असौ तत्त्वान्तर:
and then तस्य व्यवस्थापनेन ...बाधकेन..अतात्त्विकत्वमेषां प्रमाणानां
दर्शनीयं ?

Thank you
Om