[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue May 5 07:07:43 EDT 2020

praNAms Sri Sada Prabhuji
Hare Krishna

After more than 45 days of long lay-off just today resumed duty and looking at the mails.  More than 600 mails!! So, just replying this since Sri SSS and my  name mentioned here.  I am not official spokes person of Sri SSS's views.  Just I am presenting what I have understood from Sri SSS's works.  One can refer Sri SSS's works like gaudapAda hrudaya, mulAvidyAnirAsa, sugama, vedAnta prakriya pratyabhijna etc. to get more clarity on Sri SSS's View.

Experientially, however, I still have a problem in accepting the bhaavaruupa aspect of avidya.

>  As a matter of fact some vedAntins other than Sri SSS, attributed bhAvarUpa to adhyAsa and abhAvarUpa to avidya considering the fact that avidyA is mere jnAnAbhAva ( even the term jnAnAbhAva too kevala shabda vikalpa to define that something which in reality does not exist!!) and adhyAsa (anyathAgrahaNa) is antaHkaraNa dOsha which is because of jnAnAbhAva, thence it is there in bhAva rUpa.  However Sri SSS concluded  adhyAsa itself is avidyA which is the main threat ( reason for suffering) based on adhyAsa bhAshya of bhagavatpAda.  (adhyAsa bhAshyArtha vimarshe in Kannada by Sri SSS may be relevant here.).

Taking the rope/snake case, partial knowledge, I mean, is the satya amsha - that there is an object out there which is, say, 5ft, and coiled and lying on the alley.

>  don’t you think prabhuji, before the dawn of rope knowledge these satya amsha-s of rope have been wrongly attributed to mithya sarpa as a whole !!??  Like, there lies the snake which is 5ft, coiled etc.  Here that needs to be noted that the 5ft, coiled etc. completely pertain to mithya snake only and at any point of time we would not think that satya amsha pertains to rope !! do we??

There is a partial ignorance since I do not have complete attributive knowledge of the object out there.

>  Yes, we donot have the knowledge of the object out there...Hence, we do think there is 5ft long, coiled snake and we cannot think or perceive  the 'separate' snake excluding the real attributes of rope...hence there is no vibhAga in this perception in my opinion.

Now, the question is, does the ignorance projects or my mind with chidaabaasa (upahita chaitanyam) projects the snake based on memory and saadRisyam of a snake and the rope?

>  Since your goodself written comprehensively about adhyAsa in adhyAsa bhAshya notes, I don’t have to clarify what bhAshyakAra says in this regard.

tat aikshataa, etc statements before creation do not refer to avidya but contemplative meditation for creation by Iswara.

>  Yes, while talking about creation and uddesha/apekshA of Ishwara behind this vishama srushti bhAshyakAra clarifies, srujyamAna prANI dharmAdharmApekshA vishama srushtiH and for this we should not blame Ishwara as this srushti is the stage for the jeeva-s (prajAH) where they can experience fruits of dharmAdharma.

In essence, my problem is in accepting the bhaavaruupa avidya than abhaaaruupa avidya. Experientially this does not seem to be valid as it is in the rope/snake case.

>  IMHO, not knowing the rope (jnAnAbhAva) is the root cause ( not by any means it is mulAvidyA which is the 'material cause' for adhyAsa and bhAvarUpa) of wrongly perceiving (anyathA or vipareeta grahaNa) the snake ( snake in the place of rope...atasmin tadbuddhiH - adhyAsa bhAshya).  Here we have to note that merely not knowing the rope (jnAnAbhAva) is not a problem, but problem starts when we are seeing the snake and started getting tremors 😊  Likewise, not knowing the shruti siddhAnta that  we are brahman (jnAnAbhAva) is problem, problems and sufferings start when we wrongly started identifying ourselves with individual BMI.  Na cha avidyA vaishamyasya kAraNAM why??  Because it is : ekarUpatvAt.  eshaNa kAma etc. is the problem which is arised due to adhyAsa (wrong perception or wrong identification).  Clarifies bhAshyakAra.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar