[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26 (V Subrahmanian)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon May 4 05:37:51 EDT 2020

<< On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 10:26 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

स्वेनैव कल्पिते देशे व्योम्नि यद्वद्घटादिकम् ।
तथा जीवाश्रिताऽविद्यां मन्यन्ते ज्ञानकोविदाः ॥

A pot for example, comes into being in the vast space and occupies a place
even while containing (pot)space within it. In the same way the jiva comes
into being and occupies a place in avidyA even while containing avidyA
within itself.  Thus do the wise hold.

>Would anyone please provide the reference of the above verse/mantra? >>,

Namaste.

This verse is cited in NyAyAmruta in support of its contention that jIva
cannot be Ashraya for avidyA. However it does not mention its origin.
Curiously in its response Advaita Sidhi cites the same verse and gives a
different interpretation to it, and contends that the verse does not
conflict with the contention of Sri Vachaspati Mishra in Bhamati that jIva
is the Ashraya for avidyA. Refer अद्वैतसिद्धिः

, अथाज्ञानवादेऽविद्याया वाचस्पतिसम्मतजीवाश्रयत्वोपपत्तिः (advaitasiddhiH

, athAj~nAnavAde.avidyAyA vAchaspatisammatajIvAshrayatvopapattiH ),
Ananthakrishna Shastri Edition.

However I must confess I am unable to make out which view the
interpretation given above supports !! No offence meant. It is just that I
do not understand it properly.
Regards