[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon May 4 04:47:03 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghav ji,
I don't think your email to me was sent to the group either. Copying it in
full below for the benefit of everyone else.

To clarify, I am using the term nimitta kAraNa as used in nyAya shAstra,
not in vedAnta. That is, this is a supporting cause - with its presence,
one attains the result. Think of a situation where there is a pratibandha
or an obstacle. Say there is an inhibitor, which prevents fuel from
catching fire. When the inhibitor is present, fuel does not burn even when
in the presence of a lit match. When the inhibitor is absent, and a lit
match is brought in front of the fuel, it catches fire and starts burning.
Thus, the absence of the inhibitor is necessary for the result of fire to
take place.

Similarly here - if viveka is present, the result of adhyAsa cannot take
place. If viveka and other such nimitta-s are (nidrA, etc) absent, and the
upAdAna kAraNa (ajnAna) is also present, then adhyAsa will take place. The
absence of viveka here is the nimitta kAraNa or supporting factor for
adhyAsa.

I am not saying that aviveka is some bhAvarUpa padArtha - it is viveka
abhAva. The bhAvarUpa padArtha is ajnAna, which is the upAdAna kAraNa.

So to answer your question - what is the difference between aviveka and
adhyAsa? - former is one of many nimitta kAraNa-s, latter is kArya.
1) In our dRShTAnta, the pratibandha abhAva is the nimittam, the indhana
(fuel) is the upAdAna kAraNa, and vahni is the kArya.
3) In our dARShTAnta, aviveka is the nimittam, ajnAna is the upAdAna
kAraNa, adhyAsa is the kArya.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan