[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri May 1 06:14:48 EDT 2020

Raghav Ji,

Namaste.

Reg  << P.S. Would you say there is any other way to atleast hint that
avidyA is
> not-abhAva from adhyAsa bhAShya alone? (Since the avivekena reference has
> to be dispensed with in view of maintaining concordance with gItA bhAShya
> 13.26.? I admit the constraint of adhyAsa bhAShya alone is a bit unfair!
>> ,

Copying below from AdhyAsa BhAshya of Sri Mani Dravid Shastrigal.
Translation I think is by Sri Shastri. Not sure if this answers your
question.

<< Mithyajnana is split up as mithya+ajnana, i.e. ignorance which is
mithya, that is, it cannot be described as either real or unreal. This is
the
reason for the wrong identification. By using the word ‘nimitta’ after
mithyajnana in the Bhashya it is pointed out that ignorance is the
material cause (upaadaana kaaranam) of the superimposition. In
Vedantic terminology, the word ‘nimitta’ is used to denote the efficient
cause and the word ‘upaadaana’ denotes the material cause. But in
grammar and also in worldly usage ‘nimitta’ is used to denote material
cause also. In Nyaya several kinds of causes such as samavayi,
asamavayi, nimitta, are mentioned, but in Vedanta only two causes,
nimitta and upaadaana, are accepted. For any effect to be produced a
material cause is necessary. Illusion (bhrama), being an effect, must have
a material cause. In this sentence in the Bhashya there is no other word
to denote the material cause and so the word ‘nimitta’ has been
interpreted by Prakatarthakara as material cause. The word
itaretaraavivekena—meaning, ‘due to non-discrimination between the self and
the
not-self’- has been interpreted as denoting the efficient cause.
Brahman is both the efficient and the material cause of the universe,
but it is the material cause only through vivarta or transfiguration and
not parinaama or transformation, Ajnaana is the material cause of the
universe by transformation (parinami-upaadaanakaarana). Ajnaana is a
defect (dosha) and so the word nimitta implies that ajnana is the efficient
cause also.
Can the word mithyajnaana be split up as mithya+jnaana also? The
answer is no, because the word would then mean adhyasa itself, but not
the cause of adhyasa >>.

Being the upAdAna kAraNa, avidyA cannot be of abhAvarUpa.
Regards

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:44 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <