[Advaita-l] jIvanmukti (liberation right in this life) - A State or Status

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 06:08:58 EDT 2020

Ramesam Ji,

Namaskarams.

Reg  << “The very use of the plural “*karmANi*” clearly indicates that the
shruti
is negating the ‘*prArabdha*’ also; it would have used the dual number “
*karmaNi*,” if it intended that only the *sancita* and* agAmi* were to be
meant here.” The mantra by itself did not talk of just two of the three
fruits of karma >>,

I have not seen the “*dIpikA*” on *aparokShAnubhuUti * of Swami Vidyaranya
referred to. However Swami Sureswaracharya does indeed consider only two,
namely sanchita and AgAmi, to be part of the avidya which is negated at the
time of Realization.

<< यत्तु स्वात्माश्रयं कर्म ह्यानारब्ध फलं भवेत् ।

उत्पित्सनागतं कृत्स्नम् ज्ञानं हन्ति तदेव नः ॥ >>  BUBV 1-4-1531

<< yattu svAtmAshrayaM karma hyAnArabdha phalaM bhavet |

utpitsanAgataM kRRitsnam j~nAnaM hanti tadeva naH || >>  BUBV 1-4-1531

Plural “*karmANi*” need not be with reference to the three types of karma,
sanchita/AgAmi/prArabdha. The term could very well be understood as
referring to the countless karmAs accumulated without reference to the
three types as such. Thus plural form is quite in order even if only two of
the three types are covered. That is exactly what Swami Sureswaracharya has
done as above.
Regards

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 5:01 AM Ramesam Vemuri via Advaita-l <