[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} 2020 | Michael S Allen | Greater Advaita Vedānta: The Case of Sundardās

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:49:16 EDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Megh Kalyanasundaram <kalyanasundaram.megh at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM
Subject: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} 2020 | Michael S Allen | Greater Advaita
Vedānta: The Case of Sundardās
To: भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत् <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>

Allen, Michael S. (2020). Greater Advaita Vedānta: The Case of
Sundardās. *Journal
of Indian Philosophy* 48 (1):49-78. https://philpapers.org/rec/ALLGAV-4
Abstract <https://philpapers.org/rec/ALLGAV-4>
"To understand the history of Advaita Vedānta and its rise to prominence,
we need to devote more attention to what might be termed “Greater Advaita
Vedānta,” or Advaita Vedānta as expressed outside the standard canon of
Sanskrit philosophical works. Elsewhere I have examined the works of
Niścaldās, whose Hindi-language Vicār-sāgar was once referred to by Swami
Vivekananda as the most influential book of its day. In this paper, I look
back to one of Niścaldās’s major influences: Sundardās, a well-known Hindi
poet and a direct disciple of Dādū Dayāl. Sundardās is typically classified
as a bhakti poet rather than an Advaita Vedāntin; certainly he is not
included in existing surveys or histories of Vedānta. In his youth,
however, he studied Sanskrit and Vedānta in Banaras, and his poems present
us with a mind that found no contradiction in claiming Dādū as his master
and at the same time embracing the teachings of Advaita Vedānta. I argue
that not only should Sundardās be included in histories of Advaita Vedānta,
he should be credited for his originality: not only did he “Vedānticize”
the Dādū Panth, he “Dādūized” Vedānta. I conclude by comparing Sundardās to
two Sanskrit intellectuals from roughly the same period: Mahādeva Sarasvatī
Vedāntin and Annambhaṭṭa, both of whom, like Sundardās, had commitments to
Advaita Vedānta as well as to other intellectual traditions."