[Advaita-l] Shankara Digvijaya Sara - part 33

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jun 16 02:26:19 EDT 2020

211| evaṁprakāraiḥ kalikalmaṣaghnaiḥ śivāvatārasya śubhaiścaritraiḥ |
dvātriṁśadatyujjvalakīrtirāśeḥ samā vyatīyuḥ kila śaṅkarasya ||96||

211. In this way, the cure for the sins of the Kaliyuga, the avatāra of Śiva
Bhagavān, the fame of whose good deeds shone brightly, namely Śaṅkara, lived
for thirty-two years.(96)

212| bhāṣyaṁ bhūṣyaṁ suśīlairakali kalimaladhvaṁsi kaivalyamūlyaṁ hantāhantā samantātkumatinatikṛtā khaṇḍitāpaṇḍitānām |
sadyo vidyotitā'sau vipathavimathanairmuktipadyānavadyā śreyo bhūyo budhānāmadhikataramitaḥ śaṅkaraḥ kiṁ karotu ||97||

212. He wrote well-written commentaries capable of cleaning the filth of the
Kaliyuga, whose foundational principle is oneness, and which caused the fake
scholars of bad theories on all sides to cry out “alas! alas!” as they were
defeated and dislodged from the wrong path with true knowledge.  What more
could Śaṅkara do?(97)

213| iti kṛtasurakāryaṁ netumājagmurenaṁ rajataśikharaśṛṅgaṁ tuṅgamīśāvatāram |
vidhiśatamakhacandropendravāvyagnipūrvāḥ suranikaravareṇyāḥ sarṣisaṅghāḥ sasiddhāḥ ||103||

213. Thus having completed his divine mission the Devas led by Vidhi [i.e.
Brahma], Śatamakha [i.e. Indra], Candra, Upendra [i.e. Viṣṇu], Vayu, and Agni,
reverentially came to lead him home accompanied by crowds of Ṛṣis and Siddhas.(103)

214| indropendrapradhānaistridaśaparivṛḍhaiḥ stūyamānaḥ prasūnaiḥ divyairabhyarcyamānaḥ sarasiruhabhuvā dattahastāvalambaḥ |
āruhyokṣāṇamagryaṁ prakaṭitasujaṭājūṭacandrāvatamsaḥ śṛṇvannālokaśabdaṁ samuditamṛṣibhirdhāma naijaṁ pratasthe ||107||

214. The Devas with Indra and Upendra [i.e. Viṣṇu] the foremost, vigorously
praised him and worshipped him by showering divine flowers upon his head.
Sarasiruhabhuva [i.e. Brahma] gave him a hand in mounting his bull and he
resumed his divine form with matted hair adorned by the moon and to the sounds
of praise, and accompanied by the Ṛṣis, he returned to his abode.(107)

|| iti śrīmādhavīyaśrīśaṅkaradigvijayasāraḥ samāptaḥ ||

Thus ends the Śrīmādhavīyaśrīśaṅkaradigvijayasāra.

(I have completed the translation.  Now the next step will be to go back and
revise it.  I've made many typos and other errors along the way and there are
phrases that could be expressed more poetically or less confusingly.  I hope
to finish by Guru Purnima and make it available for everyone on our website.)