[Advaita-l] Define MAYA ?

Sri B sriadvaitam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:58:39 EDT 2020

Interesting discussion.  Will it be appropriate to understand Maaya as the cosmic mind? There are few similarities between manas and maayaa. In Individuals the mind operates the two levers of - veiling (Avarna) and projection (Vikshepa), resulting in avidya. Similarly at the cosmic level, Maayaa operates the same set of levers causing avidya. Both mind and maayaa are mithya (dependant reality, it is neither real or unreal). Both operate on the substratum - Atma and Brahman respectively. Maaya and Mann are synonymous, similar to Atma and Brahman, which is used interchangeably. The difference is in our usage, wherein Atma, Mann are referring to an Individual and Brahman and Maayaa is at a cosmic level.

1.     Definition       Mann can be defined as subtle world – sukshma prapancha; Thoughts in the waking state and dreams in the dream state.Maaya can be defined as gross world – sthula prapancha; as Prakrithi is the world of objects
2.     Power of creation Or Shakthi:           Projections of the Mann is called jiva- srsti, which is pratibhasika / subjective reality.     Prakrithi is a projection of the Maaya, which we refer as Isvara-srsti, which is vyavaharika / empirical reality

3.     Resides           Mann is part of sukshuma sarira operating at an individual being i.e. microcosmic            Maaya is operating at the cosmic or universal level i.e. macrocosmic.

4.      Manifestation Swarupam:    Mann manifests itself as ahankara (ego);     Maaya manifests as the prakrithi

5.     Existence Is Mithaya:  Mann has no independent existence; it functions on the substratum of Atma;       Maaya has no independent existence; it operates on the substratum of Brahman;

6.     Expression is Vikshepam:       Mann expresses itself as thoughts, i.e. multiplicity or plurality. It is through thoughts that a human being connects / interacts with the prakrithi; that connection is established as actions through the medium of sense organs    Maaya expresses itself as multiple forms in the prakrithi; as various forms of matter, sentient and insentient; realm of karma

7.     Originality is compromised by Avarnam        Mann in its pure form is verily the Atma; chitt shudhi ensures single pointedness, destruction of ahankar, which is oneness with Atma.      Maaya is in its pure sense is verily the Brahman; if form and the synthetic plurality is removed then what remains is the Brahman

8.     Abides Layam: Mann’s final resting place is the Atma.         Maaya’s final resting place is The Brahman.

9.     Attribute:  Mann is neither real nor unreal         Maaya is neither real nor unreal
Regards
Sridhar